Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TRENDING :
    • How to use AI to give yourself a head start at a new job
    • Your UNO skills could be worth $50,000 thanks to Mattel’s new tournament
    • These 2 tools make it easy to create standout visuals
    • Nuclear power is China’s key for transitioning to a fully renewable grid design
    • Why are ‘Woke 1’ and ‘Woke 2’ suddenly going viral? AOC ‘crazy’ comment sparks internet debate
    • The art of asking questions in a world full of answers
    • Why Spirit Airlines’ internal data has become a hot commodity for AI companies
    • How the yellow school bus became an iconic symbol in America
    Compatriot Chronicle
    • Home
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    • Economy
    • Business
    • Headline News
    Compatriot Chronicle
    Home»Business»The revolt against FIFA chief Infantino continues with an open letter from soccer’s regional governing bodies
    Business

    The revolt against FIFA chief Infantino continues with an open letter from soccer’s regional governing bodies

    August 10, 20263 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    UEFA, CONCACAF and the AFC believe that FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s recent plan to sell an interest in the World Cup was a “fundamental breach of trust” with the institutions world soccer’s governing body serves.
    In an “open letter to the football family” revealed on Monday, UEFA, CONCACAF and the AFC also said that “when trust is broken through deception, when an individual places himself above the collective that entrusted him with authority, that duty has been abandoned.”
    UEFA runs soccer in Europe, CONCACAF does the same for North, Central America and the Caribbean, while the AFC governs the sport in Asia.
    The letter was co-signed by UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin, AFC president Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa, CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani and three general secretaries.
    “Football is the world’s greatest shared passion. It belongs to no individual and no institution. It belongs to the players, the fans, the clubs, the member associations and every institution entrusted with safeguarding its future,” the open letter said. “It is in that spirit, as confederations representing its members, that we speak collectively today.”
    Infantino is facing a revolt after his failed plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to private equity investors.
    “It is not the conduct of a custodian of the game, but of one who believes the game is answerable to him,” the letter said. “These are not the qualities football deserves in its leadership. That is why we have taken this stance: not lightly and not alone, but together, and out of duty to the game we serve.”
    UEFA previously issued a threat to boycott the World Cup and other FIFA competitions despite the governing body abandoning and apologizing for its failed plan.
    Norway’s soccer federation called for Infantino to step down, while the English Football Association has also withdrawn its support for Infantino’s re-election next March.
    “Football’s strength has always been its unity. We call for that unity to be honoured now,” the letter said. “For leadership that serves football, not seeks to command it.”
    Last Wednesday, FIFA said it had apologized for errors made over the failed plan but that senior staff at a crisis meeting in Morocco “reaffirmed their full support” for his presidency.
    However, the nature of the meeting was also met with criticism.
    “FIFA’s own letter also confirms that only one elected official was present at the leadership meeting in Morocco,” the open letter said. “No FIFA Council members or Member Associations were invited to participate. Only the management committee, composed of FIFA-employed senior staff, was present.”
    FIFA was also urged to go further than just acknowledging mistakes were made.
    “It treats this as a failure of communication, when what football witnessed was a failure of judgment,” the letter said. “There remains no recognition that attempting to sell an interest in the FIFA World Cup was a profound failure of judgment — not just a procedural misstep, but a fundamental breach of trust with the very institutions FIFA exists to serve.”
    In a statement Saturday, FIFA defended Infantino against what it called a “concerted and ongoing effort” to undermine his leadership of the organization.
    That statement followed a report by British newspaper The Daily Telegraph raising questions about an exit package paid by UEFA to a female staffer who worked with Infantino when he was general secretary of European soccer’s ruling body.
    UEFA confirmed that a “departure payment” was made to the employee and said it was “in line” with regulations at the time.
    Infantino worked at UEFA for 16 years before being elected FIFA president.


    AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

    —Associated Press



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    How to use AI to give yourself a head start at a new job

    August 23, 2026

    Your UNO skills could be worth $50,000 thanks to Mattel’s new tournament

    August 23, 2026

    These 2 tools make it easy to create standout visuals

    August 23, 2026
    Top News

    Gina Maria’s Pizza bankruptcy shines light on why the cherished restaurant closed: See full list of locations

    By Staff WriterApril 7, 2026

    In October 2025, the beloved Minnesota Pizza chain Gina Maria’s Pizza abruptly closed its doors.…

    Trader Joe’s is bringing back its viral mini tote bags. Here’s when to start looking

    March 12, 2026

    Trump Invites Russia To Join Board Of Peace

    January 20, 2026

    UAE carrier Etihad announces launch of direct flights to Kabul

    October 10, 2025
    Top Trending

    How to use AI to give yourself a head start at a new job

    By Staff WriterAugust 23, 2026

    When you start a new job there is a lot to learn.…

    Your UNO skills could be worth $50,000 thanks to Mattel’s new tournament

    By Staff WriterAugust 23, 2026

    It’s time to find out who really is the most competitive player…

    These 2 tools make it easy to create standout visuals

    By Staff WriterAugust 23, 2026

    This article is republished with permission from Wonder Tools, a newsletter that helps…

    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    About us

    The Populist Bulletin serves as a beacon for the populist movement, which champions the interests of ordinary citizens over the agendas of the powerful and entrenched elitists. Rooted in the belief that the voices of everyday workers, families, and communities are often drowned out by powerful people and institutions, it delivers straightforward, unfiltered, compelling, relatable stories that resonate with the values of the American public.

    The Populist Bulletin was founded with a fervent commitment to inform, inspire, empower and spark meaningful conversations about the economy, business, politics, inequality, government accountability and overreach, globalization, and the preservation of American cultural heritage.

    The site offers a dynamic mix of investigative journalism, opinion editorials, and viral content that amplify populist sentiments and deliver stories that echo the concerns of everyday Americans while boldly challenging mainstream narratives that serve the privileged few.

    Top Picks

    How to use AI to give yourself a head start at a new job

    August 23, 2026

    Your UNO skills could be worth $50,000 thanks to Mattel’s new tournament

    August 23, 2026

    These 2 tools make it easy to create standout visuals

    August 23, 2026
    Categories
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Headline News
    • Top News
    • US Politics
    • World Politics
    Copyright © 2025 Populist Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.